Tuesday, June 23, 2009

At the clinic

After a slow internet connection for a few days, I'm back online at last!


Here are a few pictures from my time working in the screening room at the University Teaching Hospital (UTH).
This first picture is in the screening room....you can see the nitrous oxide gas container in the background. They use this gas to do cryotherapy (ie: freeze off) early stages of pre-cancer.
The image on the TV is my attempt at capturing a photo of the cervix. The TV helps a lot with zooming in and getting a clear and focused shot.

I worked with a fabulous nurse name Annie last week at UTH. She was so kind about involving me in every part of the screening process. I had a chance to speak with patients and perfect my skills with capturing good images with the digital camera. To return the favor, I worked with her on implementing a new online form that they will be using for patient records...electronic records here in Zambia, I'm impressed!

On Fridays, the nurses, doctors and cervical cancer staff meet to discuss last week's cases and update on progress with the program. Each nurse presents a picture of each of her clients and describes their age, HIV status, and her diagnosis (ie: negative, positive for possible precancer cells, or a referral for things like polyps, more advanced cases, persistent bleeding, ect).
I got to present my set of digital images and was evaluated by the group on my technique...they said I got off to a good start! :)

And here are a few pictures from my walk home from the hospital. I pass through some beautiful streets lined by jacaranda trees (they're purple when in bloom) and I also pass by a big golf course. I've only seen a group playing once though!
















I had my first night out dancing on Saturday night with a group of colleagues...the club had some great music and the dance floor was full all night! Very fun!
Josh arrived in town on Sunday! It's really great having him here and we're headed to visit Victoria Falls on Thursday for the weekend. We'll be sure to get some good photos!























No comments:

Post a Comment